Zehnthof, High Watchtower with City Fortification
At the highest point of the Lange Straße the view opens up to the Hochwachtturm (Guard Tower). In front of it is the entrance to the Zehnthof (Tenth Yard: barn for the collection of 10% taxes in the form of farm produce) on the left and the Zehntbrunnen (Tenth fountain) opposite.
Behind the passageway at the Hochwachtturm is an impressively restored part of the former town fortifications.
Former Restaurant "Brunnenstüble"(Fountain Parlour) - (Beim Hochwachtturm 7)
The building with the stone threshhold from 1710 was already the popular „Lamb Inn“ in the 17th century. The initials IHHW refer to the butcher and lamb farmer Johann Heinrich Walch (1680-1741). The half-timbered house was restored in 1978.
Zehnthof (Tenth Yard)
To the right of this building you enter the closed area of the former Zehnthof. Here was the Württemberg Bau- und Fronhof (Landowner's seat) with a large manorial Zehntscheuer (Tenth Barn). This was acquired by the town in 1851, but burned down completely in 1912. From this time the subjects had to deliver their taxes to the state..
Zehntbrunnen (Tenth Fountain)
The tenth well or fountain, which existed before 1634 and was redesigned in 1963 by the sculptor Fritz Mehlis, recalls earlier times of need, when the farmers often had to give up their "last chicken". The motives at the well trough point to such contributions of farm produce.
The well used to be fed by wooden Teuchel pipes (hollowed out tree trunks) from a spring near Hegnacher Höhe (public modern water supply from 1886).
The Staufer Stele (Stone column with inscriptions relating to the Royal Dynasties)
The stela (stone column) in Waiblingen was made by the sculptor Markus Wolf from Swabian Jura travertine, its basic form reminds one of the octagonal Castel del Monte in Apulia. It stands for a close connection of the city with the Staufer era and Waiblingen's affiliation to the network of Staufer sites in Europe. On four sides, outstanding personalities from the Royal dynasties of the Salians and the Staufers are mentioned and their relationship with Waiblingen explained.
High Watchtower and City Wall at the Moat
The tower is the main landmark of the city at the highest point of the old town (243 m NN).
The lowest part of the oldest known architectural remains of the old town dates back to prehistoric or early Ancient times (around 1100) and is therefore older than the city wall.
at the top of the tower was the apartment of the tower keeper. In times of war, his duty was to warn of an approaching enemy and in peacetime to sound the alarm when a fire broke out. Until 1891 the high ogival arched window facing the city was the entrance to the tower, after which the present entrance was moved to street level. 101 steps lead to the tower crown at a height of 21.50 m. With a base area of approx. 7 m x 7 m, the tower measures 37 m up to the ridge and 45 m up to the top. The city wall was not built until the 13th century, when the entrances to the battlements were built into the tower walls. Here you can still see a longer part of the battlements open towards the city on the eight-metre-high city wall. After 1830, when the city gates no longer had to be closed at night, a passage through the wall of the tower was made. This was extended to an alley in 1891. Through this passage you reach the town moat.
The City Wall above the Moat
The edge of the old town is located on a ridge above the Rems, which is only directly connected to the outer terrain beyond the High Watchtower.
For this reason, the city fortifications had to be particularly high and strong at this point. On this side of the city, two erosion channels defined the course of the city wall along which are now the streets: "Am Stadtgraben" and "Weingärtner Vorstadt" both of which were about four metres lower at the time. After the city foundation in the 13th century the construction of the wall began at the High Watchtower. First to be built was the approximately 8 meter high inner main wall with its roofed battlement, In front of it was the town moat at a distance of roughly 7 - 8 metres. Later, the second front wall was built in the moat and has been exposed since 1981. A second moat with a wall had to be built in front of it. This was filled up in 1774 and is still remembered today by the street name "Am Stadtgraben". As a result, the city fortification lost its importance as a defensive structure. The reconstructed bailey between the two walls is still clearly visible in the vicinity of the High watchtower towards the Marktgasse multi-storey car park.
The town fortifications became the property of the municipality in 1830. In 1832 and 1838 the Schmidener Tor, the Fellbacher Tor and later other parts of the wall were demolished, as they hindered the increasing traffic.
During the later expansion of the city, the city wall was partly built over with houses