City Entrance at the former Fellbach Gate
Before entering the old town via Lange Straße, you cross the modernised Alten Postplatz. Originally the Fellbacher Gate stood at the beginning of Lange Straße, through a passage on the right you arrive at the Zwinger (see station 8). The former vicarage, birthplace of the silhouette artist Luise Duttenhofer stands at the turnoff to Kurze Straße. This stately building with red half-timbered windows on the right-hand side of Kurze Straße housed various schools in the city for over 200 years.
Alter Postplatz (Old Post Office Square)
The heyday of the square began in 1806, when the town of Waiblingen received a post office in front of the Fellbach Gate. New buildings for stagecoach operations and restaurants with guest rooms were built. Restaurant and brickworks owner Hermann Hess built the first post office here in 1882. With the arrival of the Remstal Railway in 1861, the Murrtal Railway in 1876 and the removal of the post office to Bahnhofstraße in 1902, the Post Office era in the square came to an end. The name "Alter Postplatz" and the historical letterbox next to the entrance to the underground car park still remind us of the former importance of the square.
Fellbacher Gate with Gatekeeper's House (Lange Straße 61)
The Fellbach Gate was the most important entrance to the fortified city, it stood on the inner city wall. The exact location of the gate can be seen today on the differently coloured street paving (see explanatory board at the former gatekeeper's house).
All traffic from Stuttgart via Schwäbisch Hall to Nuremberg entered through this gate, passed through the old town and out again over the Remsbrücken at the Beinstein gate tower.
The first old town bypass was achieved in 1934 with the construction of the old B 14. 1990/91 saw the construction of the new B 14 which bypasses the whole area of Waiblingen.
The appearance of the Fellbach Gate is only known from old views of the city. From 1749, the tower had a half-timbered structure with a pointed roof. At times it served as a prison, as did the Beinsteiner Tor. From 1830, the city gates remained open day and night, and finally, in the course of the city expansion in 1838, this gate was demolished "for the purpose of embellishing the city and thus letting more air and light into the city" (according to the city council protocol).
Of the former Fellbach Gate complex, only the gatekeeper's house, built in 1826 has survived. The coat of arms of Count Ulrich V., the much-loved, was originally mounted on the outside of the Fellbach Gate in the middle of the 15th century.
The house stands between the two city walls, the archway leads into the Zwinger, the area between the actual city wall and the front wall, over to the Bürgermühle.
Zwinger (Bailey or Kennel)
In this grassy, garden area between the walls, the hunting dogs were kept during ducal hunts. Over to the left by the city wall you can see the old Latin and secondary school.
Pfarrhaus (Kurze Straße, corner Lange Straße)
Until 1930 this half-timbered house, which was built after 1634, housed the Diaconate and the second Protestant parsonage. The famous silhouette artist Luise Duttenhofer (1776 - 1829) was born here, daughter of the deacon Georg Bernhard Hummel.
The timber framed house exterior was exposed in 1967. In one corner of the house there is an „envious head“ in the form of a lion mask.
Old Latin and Secondary School (Kurze Straße 51)
The former Latin school was rebuilt in 1754/55 with the rear part adjoining the city wall. The Latin School was housed here from 1755-1927 and the secondary school from 1841-1928. Thus, the Latin and Secondary School was the largest school building in the city centre.
From 1931 - 1936 the Agricultural School and a class of the Catholic Elementary School were accommodated here and in 1942 the food office and other departments of the district administration. In 1959 the adult education centre moved in and from 1974 - 1976 the building was used by the city administration. In 1976 the house, which had been a source of spiritual and intellectual nourishment for two centuries, was taken over by a butcher's shop!
The half-timbered house was exposed in 1982 as part of a fundamental renovation.
The name of the dead-end street, which originally ended at the city wall, probably comes from "Hauderer" (wagoners), who lived here. In 1863 the city wall was opened up for a"Wandel" (passage); this footpath was extended into an alley in 1921.