Hostel Fountain and Kameralamt (Early form of office for the collection of taxes)
From Scheuerngasse you reach Lange Straße near the Herbergsbrunnen through a winding and idyllic passageway. Here, too, the old half-timbered town flirts with the tension between the old, historically grown building fabric and modern architecture: on one side the outstanding half-timbered building of the camera office and opposite the entire street line of Lange Straße with its office buildings with typical half-timbered windows, on the other hand on the left towards the market square the modern passage of Sachsenheimer Gasse with its glass architecture.
Passage from Scheuerngasse to Lange Straße
Along Scheuerngasse are former farm buildings (Scheuern), whose associated former craftsmen's houses with the gable front point to Lange Strasse. The passage from Scheuerngasse (next to the tourist information office) to Lange Straße was only created in 1982 when the pedestrian zone was established.
The hostel fountain dates from before 1634 and was redesigned in 1752 in baroque-classical style. As a result of weathering, the entire fountain system was completely renewed in 1973 (info-panel by fountain column). When the pedestrian zone was designed in 1983, the fountain was moved into Lange Strasse and was again partially renovated. It is one of three wells in the old town, which were fed by a wooden water pipe from a spring near Hegnacher Höhe.
Its name recalls the "Alte Herberge", which stood here before 1634 near the Adelberger Pfleghof.
Kameralamt (Forerunner of the Tax Office) Lange Straße 40
The impressive half-timbered building was erected between 1649 and 1669 in its present form above the former cellar and on the old foundations using older building materials as an administrative building for Adelberger Pflege. As early as 1260, the only monastery in the city with a catchment area as far as the Neckar valley was established here. The spacious vaulted cellar and the hall above it, with wooden columns, indicate the original use as a tenth yard (for the collection of taxes) for the Adelberg monastery.
As part of an administrative and financial reform in 1807, all the state finance offices of the higher offices were merged into cameral offices. The Waiblingen Kameralamt came into private ownership in 1889, in 1977 the city acquired the building for residential and exhibition purposes, and today the camera office cellar is frequently used for cultural events.
The Lange Straße opposite the Herbergsbrunnen from Zwerchgasse down to the market square with its gables facing the street is a beautiful example of a complete development with residential and former craftsman's buildings. The carefully restored timber framed buildings in various colours form an impressive, enclosed ensemble.
Built on the former Sachsenheimer Gasse, the modern, glass-covered shopping arcade Marktgasse (Freie Planungsgruppe 7, Stuttgart), inaugurated in 1990, connects the old town centre with the outer city. The underground garage below offers 300 parking spaces.